What causes double rainbows? Why is the order of the colors reversed?
While on vacation recently our family saw a double rainbow. How do these occur? Why did the second faint rainbow (which was on top of the first) have the opposite color sequence?
Ah, rainbows – those will-o’-the-wisps of ethereal beauty, made possible only by a full lineup of optics phenomena. Let’s run down the list:
1. Refraction. When a ray of sunlight strikes a raindrop, the ray refracts, or bends, at the point where it passes out of the air and into the water of the drop. The angle of the bend is determined by (a) the intrinsic light-transmitting properties of air and water (every transparent substance has its own individual index of refraction) and (b) the angle at which the ray strikes the surface of the spherical droplet – whether, e.g., it hits the drop squarely or strikes a glancing blow off to one side.
2. Dispersion. Meanwhile, the drop is acting as a prism, splitting the white light of the ray into its component colors by refracting the different wavelengths at different angles: red wavelengths bend a certain amount, orange wavelengths a slightly different amount, and so on.
3. Internal reflection. Most of the light striking the raindrop passes straight through it and out the far side, but some of it reflects off the rear interior surface of the drop and is sent in some new direction. The ratio of light transmitted to light reflected is, once again, a function of the angle at which the ray hits the surface.
- Commercial vendors are not permitted to place classified ads.
- If you are a commercial account and you want to place a classified ad, post the ad with a separate personal profile account, which you may set up for free.
- Only Commercial members may place coupons, flyers, sales, specials and events in any other Section.
- $10.00 a week and post an unlimited amount of offers. Must post expiry date.
- A registration fee is required and receive 6 FREE MONTHS of YELLOW PAGES.
- Registration fee covers the setup of your Profile, initial introduction webpage and a Business Blog page.
- Build a website, up to 50 pages permitted.
- Contact your local representative for details. Link at top of page.
FREE!! Classied Ads
FREE!! Classified Ads for Registered Members of http://www.100milemall.com. Post your ad in your local neighborhood listing, in full color and add an image.
Promote your classified ad by either emailing to prospects or printing off as a flyer for the neighborhood.
All we ask in return, is be a “good neighbor”, support your local 100 Mile Mall vendor and post comments on their Blogs.
At the bottom of your classified ad you may place which 100 Mile Mall vendor you support.
Welcome back to your Neighborhood.
“NEIGHBORS ARE THE NEWS, MINUTE BY MINUTE”
keeping Local news and advertising alive,
thanks to http://www.100milemall.com and Neighbors Newsflash,
There is not enough traffic to local vendors and news sites,.due to journalists hierarchy of news reporting. The pyramid of news predictably ends at the head of government.
We, turn the pyramid of news upside down, so that the primary postings are to local news and the town hall meeting. We cover all the neighborhood news that others do not want too.
Neighbor Newsflash supports local vendors with targeted neighborhood and local advertising. Locally-targeted ads deliver stronger return on investment, helping to keep neighborhood programs and events alive, We all do not want to watch TV, all the time.
See what your neighbors are saying.
fLASH fo CASH were “the neighbors are the news!”
Links below to current editions pages
- 7 Good Reasons To Drink Coffee
- History of the Sandwich
- Avoid Cross Contamination
- Benefits of a Community Social Profile
- “Whoopie!” – get yours lately!!
- Water FAQS
- Nails as a Health Indicator
- Online Store Coupons vs. Newspaper Flyers
Do you have a caffeine-hater in your life? You know the type – they’re always telling you what’s bad for your health.
Here’s a list of some good reasons to drink coffee. Memorize this list – so the next time you encounter your favorite coffee-hater you can pull out one of these babies.
- Cut the Pain.
- Protection against cirrhosis of the liver.
- Lowered risk of Type 2 Diabetes.
- Lowered risk of Alzheimer’s disease.
- Reduces suicide risk.
- Protection against Parkinson’s.
- Increase Fibre content. read more