What causes double rainbows? Why is the order of the colors reversed?
While on vacation recently our family saw a double rainbow. How do these occur? Why did the second faint rainbow (which was on top of the first) have the opposite color sequence?
Ah, rainbows – those will-o’-the-wisps of ethereal beauty, made possible only by a full lineup of optics phenomena. Let’s run down the list:
1. Refraction. When a ray of sunlight strikes a raindrop, the ray refracts, or bends, at the point where it passes out of the air and into the water of the drop. The angle of the bend is determined by (a) the intrinsic light-transmitting properties of air and water (every transparent substance has its own individual index of refraction) and (b) the angle at which the ray strikes the surface of the spherical droplet – whether, e.g., it hits the drop squarely or strikes a glancing blow off to one side.
2. Dispersion. Meanwhile, the drop is acting as a prism, splitting the white light of the ray into its component colors by refracting the different wavelengths at different angles: red wavelengths bend a certain amount, orange wavelengths a slightly different amount, and so on.
3. Internal reflection. Most of the light striking the raindrop passes straight through it and out the far side, but some of it reflects off the rear interior surface of the drop and is sent in some new direction. The ratio of light transmitted to light reflected is, once again, a function of the angle at which the ray hits the surface.
- Commercial vendors are not permitted to place classified ads.
- If you are a commercial account and you want to place a classified ad, post the ad with a separate personal profile account, which you may set up for free.
- Only Commercial members may place coupons, flyers, sales, specials and events in any other Section.
- $10.00 a week and post an unlimited amount of offers. Must post expiry date.
- A registration fee is required and receive 6 FREE MONTHS of YELLOW PAGES.
- Registration fee covers the setup of your Profile, initial introduction webpage and a Business Blog page.
- Build a website, up to 50 pages permitted.
- Contact your local representative for details. Link at top of page.
Here are some suggestions for your first post.
- You can find new ideas for what to blog about by reading the Daily Post.
- Add PressThis to your browser. It creates a new blog post for you about any interesting page you read on the web.
- Make some changes to this page, and then hit preview on the right. You can alway preview any post or edit you before you share it to the world.